Personal Protective Equipment
Updated August 3, 2020 | Questions? Email email@example.com
OMS I and OMS II Students
Each student will receive 4 KN95 masks, paper bags for storage and 1 pair of protective goggles. These supplies are intended to last for all labs this semester (1 mask per 4 labs).
You will be required to wear this mask and protective goggles upon arrival to campus (distribution on first day of lab) and at all times while in lab.
All labs will be structured with each student having an assigned table partner and placed at an OMM table that is placed 6 feet apart from other tables.
OMS III (KC Region Only) and OMS IV Students
Each student will receive 2 N95 masks and 1 pair of protective goggles and are intended to last for all clerkships this semester IF required that student supply their own PPE by their site. If you are being required to bring your own PPE, please complete this request form.
Faculty and Fellows
Each faculty and fellow will receive 8 KN95 masks, paper bags for storage and 1 pair of protective goggles and are intended to last for all labs this semester (1 mask per 4 labs).
You will be required to wear this mask and protective goggle upon arrival to campus and at all times while in lab.
Faculty and fellows will be allowed to wear an appropriate cloth mask in between labs and in personal offices (including cubicles) while practicing 6 ft. physical distancing. Faculty and fellows must wear a face mask or face covering unless alone in a private office or work space that is enclosed.
KCU Provided PPE
KCU-distributed KN95 masks are not to be used outside of the University facilities and should only be used for their intended purpose to provide protection to user while on KCU campus, participating in live, in-person lab training and instruction.
As PPE supplies are in short supply, they should be handled with utmost care to maintain function.
Practices allowing extended use and/or limited reuse of respirator:
- Label each bag with consecutive numbers
- Label the mask with name written on the straps
- We are requesting that your face be clean shaven or wear appropriate facial hair as recommended by the CDC. You can find an infographic of this here.
- All accommodation requests for this requirement must go through firstname.lastname@example.org for review and approval. Failure to adhere to this will result in you being unable to come to campus and participate in labs.
- Adopt proper donning and doffing technique – CDC instructions can be found here
- Minimize unnecessary contact with the respirator surface
- Avoid touching the inside of the respirator
- Clean hands with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer before and after touching or adjusting the respirator (for comfort or fit)
- Follow the KCU guidelines for a maximum number of mask donnings (up to 5)
- Regular physical inspection
- Cracks, tears, soiling, discoloration, loose elastic, etc.
- Pack or store respirators between uses so that they do not become damaged or deformed
- Hang used respirators in a designated storage area or keep them in a clean, dry and breathable container such as a paper bag between uses
- Minimize potential cross-contamination and store respirators so that they do not touch each other and the person using the respirator is clearly identified
- Discard any respirator that is obviously damaged or becomes hard to breathe through
- Respirators must only be used by a single wearer