- KCU announced on March 25, 2022, the establishment of the J. Mike Stanton, DO (COM '77), FAOCA Endowed Professorship in Medical Simulation, the first endowed professorship in the history of the University. Stanton graduated from KCU’s College of Osteopathic Medicine in 1977 and credits the University for much of his success as an osteopathic physician and anesthesiologist.
- Dale Bratzler, DO (COM '81) served as the keynote speaker at The Journal Record’s (OK) Health Care Heroes event on March 22, 2022.
- Concussion: Traumatic Brain Injury from Head to Tail, a book by Kester J. Nedd, DO (COM '83), was featured in the 2022 Los Angeles Times Festival of Books.
- Denise Bratcher, DO (COM '86) was invested as the Dr. Sidney F. Pakula Endowed Chair in Graduate Medical Education at Children’s Mercy at the 2022 Investiture ceremony on April 13, 2022.
Drs. Hon and Holt, who are close lifelong friends from the COM Class of 1993, celebrated their respective master’s degree graduations in mid-May in Kansas City.
- KCU was pleased to honor the achievements of Elisa E. Vinyard, DO (COM '00) with a proclamation on July 8, 2022, at Cameron Regional Medical Center.
- Col. Scott M. Everson, DO (COM '04) was promoted to the Air Force Chief of Occupational and Environmental Medicine (OEM) and assigned to the Office of the Surgeon General as a consultant for OEM. Additionally, Lt. Col. Everson was elected to the Board of Trustees for the American Osteopathic College of Occupational and Preventive Medicine for the 2022-2024 term.
- Samuel G. Espiritu, DO (COM '08) was promoted to the rank of Navy Captain on August 1, 2022. He was recognized at a promotion ceremony on August 22, 2022, at Naval Hospital Bremerton, where he currently serves as the chief medical officer. Dr. Espiritu is a board-certified anesthesiologist and interventional pain physician.
- Brandi Morrison, DO (COM '09) spoke with WDAF-TV (MO) in May as a subject matter expert on how to best help children fall asleep
- Lauren Neuman, DO, MBA (COM '17) was named the new medical director at the Johnson County Rehabilitation Hospital at Overland Park, in Overland Park, Kansas, which opened its doors in July 2022.
Kansas City Magazine 2022 Top Doctors
We are honored to share the list of KCU alumni who were chosen as Top Doctors in the January 2022 issue of Kansas City Magazine:
Child and Adolescent Psychology
Christopher R. Van Horn, DO (COM '96)
Michael J. Ferguson, DO (COM '93)
James L. Miller, DO (COM '95)
Cory T. Carpenter, DO (COM '12)
Donald L. Cohen, DO (COM '78)
Micholee B. Polsak, DO (COM '08)
Joseph P. McGuirk, DO (COM '90)
David A. Lowry, DO (COM '96)
Kathryn L. Petelin, DO (COM '08)
Poonam Khanna, DO (COM '97)
(Dr. Khanna was also featured on the cover of the magazine.)
Do you have exciting professional or personal news that you wish to share with fellow KCU alumni? Submit your news to the Class Notes and Alumni Contact Information form to be featured in an upcoming issue of Alumni Update.