Core Site assignments are for year three only. Clerkship placement during year four is based solely on the site’s availability and approval. Students must follow the scheduling protocols outlined by the location and the Clinical Education Guidelines.
SSM Health is a Catholic, not-for-profit health system serving the comprehensive health needs of communities across the Midwest through a robust and fully integrated health care delivery system. The organization's more than 40,000 employees and 10,000 providers are committed to providing exceptional health care services and revealing God's healing presence to everyone they serve.
SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Jefferson City has been a part of the Mid-Missouri community since 1905. In 201, the hospital moved to its new, state-of-the art facility with spacious private rooms, an expanded emergency department, an Outpatient Surgery Center and the Blessed Beginnings Family Birth Center, the premier birthing center for Mid-Missouri. The hospital has been recognized with numerous awards for its unique design based on the latest research in patient safety and efficiency of care. It also regularly receives national recognition for delivering outstanding patient experiences.
- KCU College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Lincoln University Nursing Program
- State Tech of Missouri Nursing Program
SSM Health St Marys Hospital
- Total Beds - 154
- Admissions - 5,478
- ER Visits - 28,983
- Outpatient Visits - 183,398 (includes ED, clinic and all other OP visits)
- Births - 804
- Inpatient/Outpatient Surgeries - 4,886
- Trauma Center - N/A
- DOs on Staff - 32
- MDs on Staff - 155
- Behavioral Health (4 weeks) - Inpatient/Outpatient
- Child and Adolescent Health (4 weeks) - Inpatient/Outpatient
- Family Medicine (4 weeks) - Outpatient
- Internal Medicine (8 weeks) - Inpatient/Outpatient
- Surgery (8 weeks) - Inpatient/Outpatient
- Women's Health (4 weeks) - Inpatient/Outpatient
This site schedules clinical experiences in four-week increments.
These are clinical experiences completed in addition to the third-year core clerkships. The student may have some ability to choose from a list of available selective clerkships. The Core Site determines the selective clerkships available based on the resources at the Core Site. If applicable, selective opportunities will be communicated to students at the core site’s discretion after the match.
Selective clerkship opportunities are not available away from the Core Site during the third year. Exceptions to this policy may occur for students officially enrolled in the Military and Global Health Tracks or completing third-year selective(s) away from the Core Site as part of the Specialty Track requirements.
Resources & Benefits
- Facility Resources: Students have access to computers, internet, lounge, medical library, medical records, phones and printers
- Meal Benefits: Available in the doctor's lounge in hospital only
- Visiting Student Housing: Yes at approximate cost of $400/month
Duties & Opportunities
- Student Duties: Participation in monthly didactics is required as well as inpatient rounds, night call and weekend rounds when assigned by the preceptor or service
- OMT/OPP Opportunities: Available during family medicine or depends on the preceptor assignment
Unique Site Characteristics
- Background Check required prior to third year
- BLS and ACLS certifications must be current
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) required
- Drug Screen required prior to third year
- Medical Student Clerkship Application required
- Orientation provided on the first day of each clerkship
- Physical exam required
- TB screening required annually (only two-step skin test or blood test accepted)
Once the Clerkship Site Match is finalized for your class, KCU Clinical Education will notify students when contacting clerkship sites directly is permitted.
- Contact Clinical Education
- Core Site Contact:Tonya Pehle
- Director of Medical Education: Christopher Paynter, DO